July 2014 Update:
All of my favorite supplies and books are now in one place:
I will be teaching a calligraphy class this Fall for a lovely shop in Charlottesville. More details and signup will be announced as soon as they are hammered out. As I've prepared for the class and teaching it, I've been thinking it would be helpful to others to post a quick and easy guide to some basic supplies and materials. I'm excited to share some things I have learned on my own trial and error, and through classes, in a condensed and straightforward way.
EXCELLENT ONLINE RESOURCES
- Zanerian.com: Dr. Joe Vitolo's site chock full of tutorials, lessons, guides, you-name-it, he's got it covered!
- Dr. Joe Vitolo on IAMPETH: Complete video series on learning Copperplate
- Tristan B. of Besotted Brand has put together some amazing and in depth posts that should not be missed when you are starting out and which go into much more detail than I have here on supplies.
- IAMPETH: The go-to for all-things pointed pen
- Classes in your area: Maybelle Imasa-Stukulus (my calligra-pal and just an amazingly talented calligrapher) offers classes all over the country (and has recently gone International). Check out your local guild for information on local classes.
- A Place to Flourish has a nice round-up of US Guilds to check out and tips for beginners!